Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pork Chops and Applesauce...

Was kind of close to tonight's dinner. There were pork chops, with homemade mash potatoes, gravy and some greens. Why should you care what our stomach's are digesting right now? Well, not only is my stomach churnin' "burnin' love", I feel it's important because I'm slowly turning back into a role that I strive for, and that my friends, is a wife and mom.

I have such good memories of coming home from school to my mom making fresh bread, cookies, the good ole' stew, you name it, my house growing up, always smelled good. Of course, 28 years ago it was pretty common for a young kid's mom to be home, and now a day, it's pretty rare. I of course, have stepped into a financial supportive role with the rest of the herd in order to pay homage to the almight dollar. For the last year, I got a taste of the part-time work force life, and now, well, I'm pretty much unemployed until I can find another job. It's good in some ways, bad in others. For one thing, my paycheck is my daughters' dirty socks and constant bickering, on the other hand, I'm saving money with no daycare, and being creative with dinner. I have time to get our apartment taken care of without rushing to get out by August 1st, which would be a relief if I wasn't a procrastinator.

All in all, I feel pretty good right now. I can't complain too much about financial worries because hey, we have our house, we have water, we have power, we got some food, and I'm not sleeping next to the back-pack totin' dreadlock-headed weirdo that was peeing in the alley yesterday when I cleaned out my desk.

I've got a potential interview coming up with our State's unemployment office as a Judge's Clerk which I'm pretty excited about. I also have about 20 other applications in to different state agencies and so I've definitely got some prospects for a new job here soon, and that is a good thing. I'm also pretty stoked that Greg can come home to dinner on the table, a clean house and fresh laundry every day. He hasn't said so yet, but I know he appreciates that things around our house have changed.

5 comments:

Kenny said...

Wow, fancy. Glad you're enjoying that part of life right now, I know you'll be able to find the right job too.

I DO wish that job was in Atlanta, but oh well.

My wife is experiencing her first real time off in a long time, and I know that I appreciate what she is doing around the house right now. We have both been too stressed to really do much house work...and let's face it, when I clean it isn't really "clean".

Heath McGinnis said...

Firstly let me just say that you are a nub and your obligations to log into some type of IM during the day are still in effect. I do not quite get my fill of Eriu in blogs only.

Your post made me think of a quote I found a while ago: "A mother's happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories." -Honore de Balzac

I am very happy that you are connecting with your family again. The joy I get these days comes from playing with Lilly on the floor and teasing Claire. When we lost Kahlan I decided then that I would never trade the transitory (work-life) for permanence (family). It has made a huge difference in my contentment and I'm so happy you are finding that as a truism in your life as well. I still hate my job but my non-job(?) more than makes up for it. Great family and friends can make all the difference.

While I may not be as eloquent as Matt, as consistent as Kenny, or as social as Garret; I offer what none of them can: the inability to apply the filter between my brain and my mouth. Ok...maybe Matt can offer that one as well.

I do care for you guys and want you to know that you and your family are constantly in my prayers. One thing I pray for is that you find contentment in life and I was very happy when I read your post.

Eriu said...

Thanks guys!

I'm happy to have you all in our lives. =D

Kenny said...

I'm with Heath on the IM thing. Just because you're at home doesn't excuse you from getting on and saying hello.

nub.

Matt said...

Filter? Me? Hellooooo...did you SEE the pic I posted on my blog?

Lisa, I'm pumped that you and Greg are rolling with the punches of life. To be honest, you have sounded happier and more collected the past few times I've talked with you than for much of the time I've known you in WoW.

It's so great you can spend some time with the kids and that you can support Greg (and that he, of course, gets to support you).

My only wish is that you are uprooted from your wonderful, pretty little home where you've worked hard to settle and end up in my neighborhood so we barbecue and the kids can play and we can irritate my irritating neighbors at the neighborhood pool.

Oh...and we could all do karaoke regularly, D&D, LAN party at Kenny's basement, smoke a Boston butt at Heath's, and do unnatural things to Garret's mom together.

Keep blogging. Love it.